The 10th January is MicroBiz Matters Day and founders Tina and Tony will be celebrating with a conference over in Preston. They have also requested that micro businesses share their top 10 tips so, as 2020 will see Red Kite Services celebrate our 10th birthday, I thought I would share some of ours (in no particular order).
Top Ten Tips for running a Micro-Business:
- Think about your branding – it helps with everything moving forwards if you get a strong logo and a list of brand colours and fonts. These will inform your web design, social media presence and any printed products and save you a lot of time.
- Make sure your business cards have a design and font size that is easy to read and explains your business and your job. I have written a blog on this
- Always take plenty of business cards to networking meetings
- Set up systems for your business, such as Capsule CRM, email templates, calendars and filing – spending time on this when you start out pays dividends further down the line
- Keep your website up to date with events, news, products etc at the front end and with the latest versions of the software at the back end
- Post regularly to your chosen social media channels – both 5 and 6 help people be confident your business is on the go
- Separate your work space from your family/social time – I am lucky enough to have an external office, but if you work from home try to have dedicated work space and time and also a ‘phone for business only.
- Keep in regular contact with your clients – either through phone calls, meeting up for coffee or through newsletters
- Send out your invoices regularly – either straight after you have completed the work or on a set day each week or month. (I do them mid-month and last day of the month).
- Keep a close check on your bank account and check it at least weekly.
And as an extra bonus because I’m feeling generous, my final tip is BE YOURSELF!